Saturday, February 2, 2013

February 2, 2013


Hello everyone! I can't believe it's almost time for me to leave the MTC! My time here has flown by, but at the same time I almost can't remember life before the mission. We are so focused all the time that life outside of missionary work kind of feels like a dream. This week has been very crazy. I made a list of all the things that happened and I'll try to type them all during the short time I have to write you. I love you all very much and I pray for you every night.

On Sunday my Branch President asked me if I would accept the assignment to serve as the Coordinating Sister in our zone. I don't really know how to explain this calling - I think it might be an MTC specific thing, but I'm not really sure. It's basically like a female version of a Zone Leader combined with the Relief Society President. I accepted the assignment and have been so appreciative of the Lord's support as I have taken on the responsibilities that have come with it. I have had the opportunity to get to know all of the sisters in the zone a little better as I have interviewed them personally and done all I can to support them in their struggles. I have seen how very much God needed me in this position as I have been able to bless the lives of others and to be blessed myself as well.

Sister Linda K. Burton came to talk to us for our Relief Society meeting. She talked about how important it is for sister missionaries to understand the vision of Relief Society because we will be teaching investigators why it is important to go to Relief Society. She explained that "our charge as members of Relief Society is to be disciples of Christ. Every sister in the Church has a divine mandate to save souls and to lead the women of the world." I think that is such a powerful responsibility! She quoted the words from "As Sisters in Zion" explaining that we really do have "the errand of angels." I have such a testimony of Relief Society and am grateful I was able to serve in that area before my mission.

The Sunday fireside was about what it means to have success as a missionary. Richard I. Heaton, the administrative director at the MTC talked to us. His words gave me a lot of perspective on how to better focus on the things that really matter. It's not important to have the most baptisms, or teach the most lessons - it's important to be the most committed and to serve with all of your heart, might, mind, and strength. In our district we read a talk given by a mission president called "The Fourth Missionary." Anyone on a mission or about to leave on a mission should find this talk and read it. It gives you so much perspective on this idea of losing yourself in the work. It helped me understand that what really matters is what's inside your heart. It is important to serve the Lord with your whole heart, not just half of it, which is something I'm really trying to be better at.

For our Sunday evening film, my companions and I decided to watch a recording of Elder Holland's devotional that he gave at the most recent Thanksgiving. During his talk he said something really powerful. He said that many missionaries go on their missions and talk about how they can't wait to get back to real life. Elder Holland explained that this is real life; the mission is the closest you can ever get to real life. We have to stop believing that we're going to go on our missions and then return to the lives we used to live. This is supposed to change us into living real life. The mission doesn't end when we're released - we are going to serve the Lord for the rest of our lives.

In class this week we watched a clip of a devotional Elder Bednar gave in 2007. He said that everyone, particularly missionaries, always wonder how they can know if revelation comes from them or from God. He said, "Stop worrying about it! If you are being a good boy, or a good girl, if you are living the commandments and keeping your covenants, it won't matter." He told a story about when he was on his mission and explained that often we won't even know if it's revelation or not. If we are living righteously, we will be so in tune with the Spirit that it won't matter if it's our thoughts or the Lord's - we should just act. Often it will happen without us even thinking about it.

I auditioned for a musical number, but since I'm leaving on Wednesday, I probably won't get the opportunity to perform.

As part of my responsibilities as Coordinating Sister, I gave a presentation with the Zone Leaders to all the new missionaries in our branch. There are 24 of them, and 8 of them are sisters. It was crazy to realize that although I've only been here for 2 weeks, I have learned so much. I am so grateful for the ways the MTC has stretched me and pushed me to be the best that I can be.

You are constantly in my prayers! Thank you for all of your support! My next letter will be from Virginia!

With love,
Sister Jasperson

No comments:

Post a Comment