Oh my gracious, I don't even know where to begin with this week. Seriously, everything was just insane! I reached the five month mark of my mission! I really cannot believe how quickly time has gone by. I feel like I just got here yesterday, but it's been five entire months!
On Monday we taught an amazing lesson to our investigator Penny in a member's home. Their 18 year old son helped us teach the lesson. We taught her about the Plan of Salvation and it was so wonderful to see the light on her face when we explained that she could have the opportunity to live with her family forever. Penny is the sweetest lady. I love her so much and I cannot wait for her to be baptized. She is so ready, but she just doesn't know it. We are hoping to set a new baptismal date with her when we meet with her this week.
On Tuesday I spent the entire morning at the doctor. I have been limping for the past nine months, ever since I fell down the stairs outside my apartment complex last October. I got eleven x-rays on my foot and ankle. The doctor says everything looks fine, so he recommended physical therapy. The mission only allows three physical therapy sessions, so it will be a little complicated to see how that works out, but I am so eager to find a fix because it is really frustrating to be so limited in what we can do because I just can't walk.
On Thursday we had Zone Conference in Virginia Beach. I have been dying to go to Virginia Beach because the only way to get there is to drive on this underwater bridge that goes under the Chesapeake Bay. Let me tell you, it was so cool! It was also amazing to see the Atlantic Ocean! Virginia is so beautiful! Zone Conference was also wonderful. This was our last conference with the Perrys because they are going home at the end of this month. Both President and Sister Perry gave some amazing training on things they want us to remember once they are no longer here. Sister Perry picked "God be with You till we Meet Again" as the closing hymn and we barely made it through the hymn. Everyone was just bawling by the end. After choking my way through the first verse, I just stood there and cried until the song was over. Then I remembered that I was giving the closing prayer. I walked to the front and struggled to make it through the prayer. It was a little embarrassing. I have so much love for the Perrys. Their inspired leadership and guidance has made a huge difference in my life and in my mission. I am so grateful and so blessed that I have been able to serve with them these past five months.
Driving home from Zone Conference was pretty scary. There were severe thunderstorm warnings and we got stuck in the middle of a pretty terrifying storm. We prayed our whole way home that a tree wouldn't fall on us and that we would be safe. There were trees falling everywhere and Virginia has a lot of trees so the odds of getting hit by a tree were pretty high. We found out a few days later that the storm we were driving in was actually a tornado with 60mph winds. We are so grateful that God was looking out for His missionaries and that He kept us safe during that scary drive back to Williamsburg. Much of the city was without power for two days. Fortunately the building we live in had a generator, so we had electricity. It was a crazy experience. I realized I need to be much more prepared for the oncoming hurricane season.
I read something amazing in my scripture study this week. President Perry suggested that we study Matt. 24 under the lens of missionary work. Studying that took me to JS-Matt. In v. 31 it promises that the end of the world will not come until the gospel has been taken to the whole earth. As I read that promise, I realized just how powerful the age change for missionaries is going to be. I get to be a part of the fulfillment of that prophecy! It is so amazing. Being a missionary is certainly the hardest thing I've ever done. But it's also the most wonderful. Sister Perry taught us that that testifies of Lehi's teachings that there must needs be opposition in all things.
Anyways, I could go on about scripture study for hours. I love you all! My heart and prayers are with you. Have a wonderful week!
With love,
Sister Jasperson
P.S. Here's a picture of just one of many absolutely gorgeous sunsets in Williamsburg. I just can't get enough of this place. And the pictures do not do it justice.
No comments:
Post a Comment