Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October 21, 2013

I learned so much this week. I honestly feel like a completely different person than I was last week. My leg injuries have become a rather large trial. It is quite clear to me that the Lord doesn't intend for me to walk as a missionary. After a lot of crying and praying, I have really become okay with this.

I've always heard people say that they were grateful for their trials, but I have an entirely new understanding of this now. I realize that there are important things for me to learn from this, and I'm grateful to the Lord for loving me enough to let me suffer. He knows better than I do that if it was up to me I would knock on every door in Virginia until everyone was baptized, and probably work my companions to death. These trials have forced me to slow down and understand the real purpose of missionaries. I trust the Lord and I am truly grateful for the blessings that have come from this trial.

Since last time I wrote, my knee got worse, and I actually ended up going to an urgent care. I got a nifty brace that I get to wear for the next little while that actually makes walking a lot easier. 



Before I went to urgent care, I got a wonderful blessing that told me that my injuries would be healed at the end of my mission and that I would finish my mission. This was so relieving to me because I had been so panicked and worried that this injury was going to send me home early. The blessing also told me that this trial came from God for a specific reason. The Lord was pleased with the work I had done as a missionary. There had been many people who I was able to teach and serve that I wouldn't have interacted with if it hadn't been for the injuries I've had on my mission. I was blessed to have the capacity to continue serving and promised that the Lord still had work for me to do.

I've prayed harder than ever and had a lot of conversations with my Heavenly Father. Even just a week of this experience has made me a different person. I made a list of twelve reasons why I'm happy about this and I'm really doing okay.

I appreciate all of your love and prayers. Don't worry too much, God takes really good care of me. I know that this is a trial from Him for a reason. This week I prayed that I would be healed in His time, and I actually meant it. I asked for the trial to not end until I had learned all He wanted me to learn and served all the people He wanted me to serve, and I meant it with all of my heart. I love the Lord and I trust Him completely. This is hard, much harder than I thought it would be, but God is on my side, and that's all that matters.

In other news, Charles is still getting baptized on Saturday! He completely amazes me. He studies Preach My Gospel before our lessons. This week we taught him all of the commandments in one lesson. It took two hours and it kind of felt like a marathon. He taught me new things about the Word of Wisdom that I had never thought of before. I am so blessed to have met him and to have learned from him. He was so prepared for the gospel. He studied the chapter in Preach My Gospel about preparing people for baptism and came up with his own program. He basically told us how he wanted the baptism to go. This experience is like nothing I have ever even heard of. Seriously, Charles is one of the elect.

Nick also talked to his parents about getting baptized! I prayed so hard for a miracle, and we saw one! His mom told him it was okay, and actually agreed to come to church with him as well. His dad said he still wants to think about it, which is still a miracle. I am so excited for Nick. He is one of my most favorite people in this entire world. In Gospel Principles on Sunday he introduced himself and said, "I'm going to join the Church as soon as I can." Teaching him has literally changed my life.

On top of all of that, we got some really interesting spiritual impressions this week. I am grateful for companions I can trust to follow the Spirit. I love feeling the Holy Ghost nudge me in certain directions - it means the Lord trusts me enough to do something important. I want to become someone the Lord can always rely on to immediately follow the directions of the Holy Ghost. I am grateful for all the ways the Spirit guided us to safety. If I have learned anything on my mission, it's that it is essential to act as soon as you feel prompted to do something, and not to question it, especially if it seems weird.

Oh, I LOVE being a missionary! It is so hard. So, so, so much harder than anyone could begin to explain. But it's wonderful because it's hard. It wouldn't be so wonderful if it didn't require a lot of sacrifices. This week I hit my halfway mark. How did I get to be one of those missionaries that was old and wise and had all the answers? Because the secret is, no one knows how to be a missionary - we're all just making it up.

I love you all and miss you dearly. Have a great week!

With love,

Sister Jasperson


No comments:

Post a Comment