Monday, May 12, 2014

May 12, 2014

I have so much to say that I'm going to just type it all really fast. Maybe my mom can edit all my spelling before she posts this? Man, this week was crazy! There were so many ups and downs that I didn't even know what to do with myself. It was good to talk to my family. Happy Mothers' Day!

I'll start with the miracles. We had dinner with a family in our ward on Monday night. They had invited some of their friends to meet with us, so their friends came too. We had a great lesson, and we talked about the first half of the Restoration. They Spirit was really strong. These people have been so prepared. They believe very much in the Holy Ghost, something really uncommon among Southern Baptists, actually. We taught them again on Thursday night and finished the Restoration. I was so amazed at how much you could feel the Spirit in their home. I know that they felt it. We invited them to read and pray about the Book of Mormon, but they declined. Nevertheless, they told us that we had definitely planted a seed and that they would think about everything that we shared with them. It was certainly a miracle and whenever they find missionaries again, they will accept the gospel I'm sure.

We were out contacting on Wednesday. We were starving, but we weren't in the town that we live in and we weren't going to have time to eat. A member drove by and waved. A few minutes later he came back and rolled down his window. He asked us if we were hungry. We said, kind of, and laughed and he handed us two McDonald's hamburgers and some water. We were so grateful. Even though McDonald's isn't my favorite, it was like an answer to our unspoken prayers. What a sweet man.

We had this amazing lesson with Sandra. She's been having a hard time lately. On Sunday she got a blessing because of all the pain she's been in lately. So Monday night we had a great lesson with her about the priesthood and how we can act in faith on our blessings. We had taken notes during the blessing so she would have a copy of it and she hung it up on her closet door so she could see it every day. Wow. I wish every active member of the Church had that kind of faith.

On Wednesday some of our appointments feel through. Actually, all of them. We prayed that we would be led by the Spirit to find the people who needed to hear a message from us. Some things worked out and we decided to stop by and talk to this family who I'd never met. The roster said they were active. The wife wasn't home from work yet, so we talked to the husband on the doorstep. He told us that they actually hadn't been to church in a while and that he was trying to make some changes in his life. We immediately began teaching him about repentance. The Spirit was really strong and he started to cry a little. I was so touched that everything had worked out perfectly so we would knock on this one door at exactly the right moment so that this man could feel the Spirit and remember that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ he could change his life.

And yesterday one of our less actives came to church! Cynthia. I think I wrote about her before. We've had some pretty powerful lessons with her lately. Last week we really boldly talked about priesthood authority and told her that her church she currently attends is wrong. This week we watched the Restoration DVD. She really felt the Spirit and agreed to come to church. And then she did! And she told her visiting teacher that she didn't want to be a stranger to the Church anymore. I was so happy! The gospel changes people's lives and the Lord changes their hearts.

So now for the sad things. Sandra texted us on Saturday and told us that she didn't want to meet with us anymore. I cried when I read the text. I wish I knew what happened! We stopped by, but she wouldn't answer the door. She's been doing so well and she had a baptismal date! I cried that night when I prayed too. It's so hard when people won't accept the gospel. Sometimes I throw my hands up and think, I'm just trying to give you eternal life! I feel that godly sorrow that Alma talks about. It's hard when people don't want to hear what you have to say. Several other people told us they didn't want to meet with us anymore either. That was hard to hear.

I'm out of time, but here's closing funny story. We were teaching a less active on his doorstep, when a bug flew into my mouth. I didn't know what to do, so I just swallowed it. I was really impressed that I managed to keep my cool and not react at all, but inside I was freaking out. I could feel it stuck in the back of my throat for the rest of the lesson. When we got home I brushed me teeth and spit...and out came the bug. Wow. That was one of the most disgusting things I've ever done.

Anyways, have a good week!
With love,
Sister Jasperson

Here's a picture of this cute family. She wanted to wear my extra nametag.


No comments:

Post a Comment