Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 22, 2014

Here's something cool I've been meaning to tell you for six months, but just keep forgetting...Monopoly, the game, is based off of Virginia Beach. So the literal actual streets that are on Monopoly, like Park Place, Atlantic Avenue, etc., are all by Oceanfront. It's pretty cool. I've thought about taking pictures, but it's a lot of work. The cool part is that the cheap properties in the game are the kind of run down streets, and the expensive ones are nicer. So that's cool.

This week was pretty insane. I feel like I can't even remember most of it. WE FOUND A NEW INVESTIGATOR! It's always really exciting to have someone to teach. So that's a blessing. His name is Mike. He's in the navy and he's lived in Virginia Beach for a while. He works with someone in one of the family wards. He feels like his life kind of went off track for a while, and so he asked his friend to tell him about his religion...needless to say he started coming to church, we met him, and now we're teaching him. He's amazing. He has such great desires to learn.

Our first lesson with him on Saturday was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Our recent convert Charles (who by the way, received the Melchizedek Priesthood a few weeks ago and is preparing to receive his patriarchal blessing....he's so amazing) came with us. It was truly incredible to hear Charles bear powerful testimony to Mike and to reflect on my experiences teaching both of them. I love love LOVE watching the gospel change people. It's amazing.

We had two great lessons with Tyler as well. I have never felt the Spirit guide me as much as I do when we have lessons with him. It's truly amazing to study for and teach him. In planning, we'll feel prompted to teach him something specific, like scripture study. Then during studies, I'll feel like I should study something kind of random, like tithing. Then we'll get into the lesson, and end up talking about something entirely different, like the Atonement, and then at one point I'll feel prompted to share that scripture I found during studies about tithing, and it won't really relate, but it will somehow connect back to the Atonement and then he'll tell us how we answered these deep questions in his heart. I don't know how to explain it, but it's a really amazing experience. I'm grateful that I've allowed myself to be the type of person who can receive that revelation and act on it so that I can have experiences like that. That is really what missionary work is all about - learning the Lord's will, and then doing it.

It snowed a lot here. It started snowing yesterday at 4:00 and it snowed all night so there were almost five inches this morning when we woke up. We're supposed to stay inside so we're safe, so we walked over to the apartment complex office to send our emails. We were able to go out and do a lot of service this morning. It was definitely one of the best things I've ever done. We were sitting on our couch when we got the text message about staying inside all day. We looked out our window and saw all these people trying to scrape the ice off their cars in the parking lot, and then we decided to go out and help them.

We were inspired to purchase an ice scraper at the beginning of this transfer and so we bundled up and went out and started helping everyone. We were out there for almost two hours just walking around the complex offering to help people who were out. It was a great opportunity to serve and help people get a good impression of the Church. One lady agreed to let us come by and visit her another time. I was so grateful that we had acted on our promptings and that we took that opportunity to help others instead of just sit inside all day.

I reached the one year mark of my mission, which is a pretty impressive milestone. I can't believe it's been an entire year. It feels like much longer, but also like much shorter. Time goes by so slow and so fast almost simultaneously. I absolutely love being a missionary. I still have no idea what I'm doing, but that's the point - you're supposed to trust the Spirit, not yourself. I love being a missionary. It's worth all the really hard sacrifices.

Have a great week!
With love,
Sister Jasperson


Here's a picture of our parking lot this morning when we woke up...so much SNOW!


No comments:

Post a Comment